GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
Students need to perform at the Intermediate level in German as described by the American Association of Teachers of Foreign Languages proficiency guidelines,
and develop emerging skills at the advanced level.
Specific Goals of German 204:
By the completion of GERMAN 204, students will be able to:
- expand the breadth of successfully negotiated uncomplicated tasks and social situations requiring an exchange of basic information related to work,
school, recreation, personal interests and areas of competence, self, family, home, daily activities, interests and personal preferences,
physical and social needs, such as food, shopping, travel and lodging;
- further develop the ability to narrate and describe in familiar areas (personal information, common events) in major time frames;
- use cohesive devices (conjunctions, etc.) more effectively;
- respond to a larger variety of direct questions or requests for information and ask more sophisticated questions to obtain simple information to satisfy
basic needs, such as directions, prices and services;
- enhance the ability to create with the language by combining and recombining known elements.
- improve reading skills by answering content questions for graded literary texts in complete sentences, skimming and scanning for
information from authentic internet news sites, text and video, and deciphering survival texts, such as schedules and signs;
- ask and answer questions on a broader range of topics at the desired speaking ability;
- deepen fundamental knowledge about the contemporary culture of German-speaking countries.